Before being offered the position, I had been praying for an opportunity to work with children, as I haven't had much experience with kids in general. Wow! Did the Lord answer my prayer. About a month after arriving on Guam, I was offered the position of a "Learning to Read" supervisor, which means that I would teach a special segment of the students' 1st Grade year focusing primarily on learning to read. It's been 3 months, and now the program has ended, and my focus is to be shifted completely to my parents' school and my own individual studies.
- "Mom- I mean oops! Hehe! Why do we keep calling you mom?" - Student, E.C. "Because you're good to us?" -Student, S.O. (How sweet is this!)
- "I love you!" -Student, D.N.
- "You read a word!" -Me
- "You're a good teacher." -Student, S.O.
- "Teacher, you look pretty." 3-year-old, N.LG.
- Kids have a pure sense of justice and will hold you to your word
- Kids remember almost everything
- When working with little ones, patience is not only a virtue, it's a necessity!
- Plan, plan, plan ahead!
- Don't be afraid to improvise :)
- Be flexible